The following structures contribute to the historical, cultural, and architectural
significance of the North Milford Village Historic District:
North Main Street
Structure- Stone arch bridging the Huron River just east of the Main Street bridge,
carrying the railroad tracks across the river. The railroad was built through Milford
Village on wooden trestles in 1871. The railroad bed was later raised and supported
by embankments. The stone arch was built in 1888.
Structure- Steel deck plate girder bridge and concrete abutments carrying railroad
tracks across Main Street at Canal Street. 1902
224- Story-and-a-half cement block and brick cross-gabled Tudor office building.
Curved shingling simulates thatch. Dormers in front wing and in south wing. Some
casement windows. Cobblestone foundation beneath central brick section. Small house
became offices after addition in 1939. Ca. 1922/1939
238- Red brick Presbyterian Church. Cross-gable-roof auditorium church with round-arch
stained-glass windows and round or wheel windows. Upper part of tower reconstructed
in a contemporary vein in1957. 1899
239- One-story brick Mission and Art Deco style commercial structure, a former gas
station. Pillars define each of the bays and also occur at the building's corners,
linked to crenellated tile along the flat roofline. 1934
245- Gambrel-roofed one-and-a-half story wood frame vernacular commercial structure,
formerly a lumber office. Fish-scale shingles in the gambrel peak. Masonry plaque
between the entry doors spelling "DEGARMO" with cobblestones and a stepped fieldstone
zone on the side with the date 1900 formed by cobblestones. 1871
301- Two-story brick Italianate commercial structure with arched brick crowns over
windows on side facing West Liberty Street. Part of Howland Block. Front of building
much remodeled. 1877
307- Two-story brick Italianate commercial structure with arched brick crowns over
second story two-over-two windows. Date stone stating "Howland Block-1877" in second
story. Part of Howland Block. Historically separately owned, but now part of one
314- Small one-story frame commercial structure, remaining part of Central Hotel,
saved when hotel was demolished. 1862
313- Two-story brick Italianate commercial structure with arched brick crowns over
second story two-over-two windows. Historically separately owned, but now part of
one business. Part of Howland Block. 1877
315- Two story brick Italianate commercial structure with arched brick crowns over
second story two-over-two windows. Historically separately owned, but now part of
one business. Part of Howland Block. 1877
319- Two-story brick commercial structure. Remodeled after tornado damage in 1953.
Historically separately owned, but now part of one business. 1875
327- Two-story wood frame commercial building. Second story bay window and wood
cornice with brackets. 1892
335- Two-story wood frame Italianate commercial structure. Built 1872, moved to
this site in 1882, moved back 20 feet and remodeled in 1892. 1892 wood cornice with
339, 341- Significant structure. See narrative.
340, 342- Two-story yellow “Commercial Brick” structure. Prism glass transom above
windows on first story. 1926
344- One-story classic bank building with a front of Bedford, Indiana, natural limestone
and two Ionic pillars framing entry. Lobby wainscoted in marble. Marble counter
with dark marble deal boards and Italian walnut and plate glass work above the counter.
1916 One-story metal, glass and brick addition to north side of bank in 1950.
530-532- Two-story wood frame front-gabled Greek Revival structure with story-and-a-half
side-gabled wing. Gable moldings, return eaves and entablature. Bay window on south
side of first floor. 6/6 windows. 1852
546- Two-story wood frame Late Victorian with rear wing and porch on front and side.
605- Two-story wood frame side-gabled residence. One gabled roof dormer. Porch across
front. Wing on rear. 1852
614- Two-story wood frame Dutch Colonial with porch across front. Dormer in front
of roof. Shingled gables. Newly added window on second story south. 1924
624- Two-story wood frame Late Victorian upright and wing. 2/2 windows and door
with decorative trim all around. Small dormer in wing. Eastlake gable trim. Replaced
wraparound porch on west and south. Wood frame garage. 1882
625- One-story wood frame front-gable residence with wing. Two 4/4 windows flank
front door. 1867
629- One-and-one-half story wood frame residence with one-story wing. “ Palladian”
and 2/2 windows with cornices. Porch. Bracketed door hood over front door. 1861
638- Two-story wood frame vinyl-sided side-gabled Victorian Gothic with two cross
gables on front. 4/4 windows, some with cornices. Porch across the front. Rear
wing with cross gable on south. Paired windows on south. 1872
645- Story-and-a-half front-gabled upright with one-story side-gabled wing. Porch
(enclosed). Gothic Revival detailing in barge boards. 1858
701- One-and-one-half story wood post-and-beam side-gabled Greek Revival. Pilasters
frame both doors. Moved to this site from Union Street in 1950's when parking lot
was formed. Wood frame board-and-batten garage. 1843
711- Story-and-a-half wood frame gabled-ell Victorian Gothic house. Porch in ell
with cross gable above. Projecting bracketed bay on south. Scrolled wood trim above
windows. Wood frame garage. 1876
113- Two-story brick commercial building. 1928
124- Two-story wood frame Greek Revival house. Upright and one-story wing, with
three early wings added later. First story porch with wood pillars on east side
of wing, wrapped around front of building in 1902. Second story of wing, with front
gable pediment and projecting bay window on east side, added in 1902. Upright extended
in 1872, second story added later. Return eaves and entablatures. Now Milford Historical
Society Museum. 1853
206- Story-and-a-half wood frame gabled-ell Italianate house. Projecting bay windows
on west and north gabled wings. Brackets and pilasters on bays. First story porch
with triangular pediment with decorative scroll work. 1871
215- Two-story uncoursed cut fieldstone English style house, built as rectory for
St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Roman Arched front door. Arthur DesRosiers, architect.
319- Two-story wood frame Late Victorian. Hip- and cross-gabled roof. Enclosed textured
cement-block porch and steps. 1896
319- Early wood barn. Original track doors. ca. 1896
322- Significant structure. See narrative.
323- Two-story-with-cupola wood frame, aluminum-sided Italianate. Two projecting
bay windows on front. Entry porch with modern pillars. Front doorway with side and
transom lights and reeded wood pilasters. Side door with reeded wood pilasters. 1869
404- Story-and-a-half side-gable wood frame Dutch Colonial Revival. Shingles in
gables. Front and side porches with round wood pillars. Projecting front bay window.
Front dormer in roof. 1906
405- Story-and-a-half wood frame aluminum-sided gable-front Greek Revival. Return
eaves and eyebrow windows. First story porch. 1851
412- Two-story wood frame side-gabled Late Victorian. Textured cement-block porch
across front with square wood pillars. Moved from lot just south. 1850's/1887
415- Two-story wood frame American Foursquare house. First-story porch on front.
Hip-roofed dormer in hipped roof. Geometric patterns of small-paned window glazing
typical of period. 1922
515- Story-and-a-half wood frame Victorian Gothic gabled-ell house. Projecting bay
window in front. First story porch with brackets and later wrought iron posts. Brackets
under eaves in front gable and in bay. Decorative sawn scroll-work in cross gable.
Stone fence posts. 1868
515- Object: “Chicken stone,” large boulder shaped like a chicken, on property over
522- Significant structure. See narrative.
522- Wood frame barn.
555- Story-and-a-half wood frame, aluminum-sided side-gabled Cape Cod. Two dormers
in roof front. Two oriel windows in front. One-story wing on east with porch on
front. Classic doorway. The house is set back and the front yard has a number of
large tress, 6 evergreens, 11 maples and one very old box elder, probably dating
from the time when this lot belonged to the 1869 house to the west. 1939
602- Two-story wood frame upright with one-story wing. Porch on front of wing. Extensively
608- Story-and-a-half wood frame upright and wing house. One-story wing on west
with dormer above. 2/2 windows. Porch in front of east wing. 1875
625- Story-and-a-half brick Tudor Revival house. Two dormers in roof. Triangular
hood over entry. Basement garage. 1929
712- Story-and-a-half wood frame gabled-ell Victorian Gothic house. Brackets under
eaves of front gable. Cross gable in west wing with barge board. Projecting bay
window in front wing. Wood frame carriage house. 1870
725- Story-and-a-half wood frame English cottage. Dormers in roof in front of east
wing and in west side of west wing. Enclosed front entry with fanlight above door.
Basement garage. 1929
800- Significant structure. See narrative.
801- One-story brick church with one-story wing. First church built in village after
World War II. Includes altar constructed when the congregation used the Opera House
on N. Main Street for services. Faceted glass window designed and executed by James
Hopfensperger of Midland, Mich. Parish hall added in 1957. Additions in 1988, designed
by architect Gordon Merritt, including narthex and three new panes in large faceted
glass window. 1953
816- Story-and-a-half wood frame house with side gables. Porch across front. 1872
819- Significant structure. See narrative.
825- Story-and-a half wood frame side-gabled Late Victorian house. First story porch
across front with round wood columns. New rusticated wood siding. Wood frame chicken
house. Home of noted citizen, Blanche Van Leuvan Browne. Original footprint and shape.
906- Story-and-a-half wood frame, cobblestone- and stucco-sided cross gable house.
One-story rear wing. 4/4 windows. Porches on front and west side. Bay on west.
1868 Concrete block garage, ca. 1940’s
304- Two-story wood frame, aluminum-sided gabled-ell Italianate. Porch across front
wing and porch on east side. Brackets under the eaves on both gables. 2/2 windows.
315- Story-and-a-half wood frame, aluminum-sided gabled-ell Victorian Gothic house.
Porch across front of east wing. Barge boards under eaves in north and east gables
and in cross gable above porch in east wing. Projecting bay window on east end of
east wing. One-story wing on back. 1871
315- Two-story wood frame board-and-batten carriage house. 19th Century
320- Story-and-a-half wood frame upright-and-one-story wing Greek Revival with additional
hip-roofed one-story wing on west. Porch across front of east one-story wing. Return
eaves and gable moldings. New wing on back. 1851
325- Story-and-a-half wood frame gabled-ell Victorian Gothic house. Barge board
under eaves in both north and east gables and in cross gable above porch in east
wing. Newer enclosed porch. Projecting bay window on east end of east wing. 4/4
windows with drip moldings. 1873
335- Two-story wood frame Victorian upright with one-story wing. Porch across front
of east wing. Drip moldings above windows. 4/4 windows. 1871
339- Story-and-a-half wood frame gabled-ell Victorian. Aluminum-sided. Porch across
front of east wing with flattened arches. Cross gable above porch. 4/4 windows.
206- Story-and-a-half concrete block house. Porch across front with four round concrete
columns. Large triangular pediment in roof with two windows. Shingles in both end
gables and in front gable above porch. 1907
209- Two-story wood frame side-gabled Late Victorian. Decorative window caps. Entry
door with bracketed triangular hood centered on front. Back part of building is
two-story wood frameside-gabled Greek Revival. Porch off west side with classic
pillars and scrolled-wood trim. Return eaves and gable molding. Wood trim above
windows. Aluminum-sided. Small attached wood frame garage. 1891/1838
212, 214- Two-story wood frame gabled-ell Late Victorian with added gabled wing on
west. Porch across front of east wing that wraps around east end. Decorative rail
on top of porch. Porch across front of west wing. Cross gable above east porch
with door in gable. 4/4 windows, some paired, with sawn-wood trim above. Fish-scale
shingles in all gables. Cut stone foundation. 1892/1896
214- Two-story wood frame barn. ca. 1892
232, 234- Story-and-a-half wood frame, wood-sided Greek Revival with story-and-a-half
Victorian Gothic wing. Wooden sunburst in gable of main wing. Fish-scale shingles
in cross gable in west wing. Dentil trim. Return eaves and entablatures. Wood frame
garage, may have been barn. 1848
233- Two-story wood frame hip- and cross-gable Queen Anne. Enclosed front entry.
Front and rear porches on west side. One-story wing on rear. Cobblestone, cut-stone
and concrete block foundations. Gables added on top of roof. Classic doorway and
window caps with dentils. 1894
304- Two-story wood frame Italianate. Entry porch on front which wraps around west
side. 2/2 windows with sawn-wood trim above. Projecting bay window on east side.
305- Two-and-a-half story wood frame, aluminum-sided Queen Anne. Two-story bay on
west side. Beveled windows on front. Two-story porches on front. New fish-scale
shingles in gables. Raised cut-stone foundation. Stained-glass window. 1898
311- Significant structure. See narrative.
312- Significant structure. See narrative.
316- Story-and-a-half wood frame Bungalow. Porch across front with concrete block
base and steps and tapered square wood columns. Roof dormers on front and back.
Leaded-glass windows. 1921
317- Significant structure. See narrative.
328- Two-story wood frame crossed-gable Late Victorian with one-story wing on west.
Porches on east and west of front gable with balusters above. Sawn-wood trim
above windows. Long porch on east of rear wing. Fish-scale shingles in three
gables. Projecting bay on east. Cut-stone foundation. Wood frame garage. 1880
401- Significant structure. See narrative
404- Two-story wood frame gabled-ell Late Victorian. Small porch in ell. Projecting
bay window on front of north gable. Story-and-a-half wood frame, vinyl-sided barn
with one-story wing and shed-roof addition at rear. 1881
425- Two-story gabled-ell wood frame Queen Anne with added gabled wing on north and
new wing on west. Entry porch in gabled ell, new porch across front of west wing
and concrete block porch on east side of north wing. Projecting bay on front of
east gabled wing. Decorative wood-sawn scrollwork in gables. 1883
Site- Lower Mill Pond. On Pettibone Creek north of West Liberty Street, south of
West Commerce Street, between North Main Street and Cabinet Street, created in 1836.
Dam and mill race remain, though undoubtedly rebuilt in 20th Century. Pond furnished
water-power for several mills at south end of pond.
Structure- South end of Lower Mill Pond. Henry Ford I power-house which furnished
power for the 1938 mill on west side of Upper Mill Pond. Striking, towered Art Deco
design in brick. 1939
Site- Phelps Saw Mill & Distillery. On south end of Lower Mill Pond. Constructed
in 1836. Henry Ford I power-house is now on the site. Historical marker. Potential
for archaeological examination.