Contact Us

Home Tour 2016

624 N. Main St.

624 North Main is a Victorian Gothic house built in 1882 by Hiram Aldis Lowell, a local builder.  Hiram built this home for his wife Mariah, and daughters Hattie and Charlotte (Lottie).  Hiram was a builder and carpenter for many of the finer homes and buildings throughout Milford.  The old stone church on Commerce Street (currently converting to condos), the Lingham house at the corner of Dean and Huron Streets, and the old Methodist church located on Union Street are just a few of his local accomplishments.


324 S. Main St.

324 South Main is a story and a half house combining Georgian and Greek Revival styles including cobble stone, brick and white oak.  The builder of this house is said to be Charles P. Holmes in 1849.  However, the grandson of Leonard Elihu Button says his grandfather built the house in 1851 and he himself was born there.   Further research in 1936 by Mrs. Elmer Wolf supports Leonard E. Button as the builder/owner.


104 Second St.

The house at 104 Second Street was built in 1881 by Palmer and Coe in an Italianate style, which incorporates mid-Victorian American style with Italian countryside. Initially this building was commissioned as a two-room elementary school to service District 5 of Milford’s school system and was called the Ward School.

The school eventually closed and the building sat emprty for 10 years, at which point a Mr. Drake purchased it and converted it into a private residence in 1926



957 S. Main St.

This home was built in 1904 by James M. Potter, a carpenter from Detroit. Mr. Potter purchased vacant farm land from Hugh Laughray on December 16, 1903, with the vision of buildign  a large family home with all of the modern conveniences of the day for his wife, Catherine Marshall Potter and their only daughter Hazel E. Potter, age 12. Potter worked on the house until July 1904 when he turned it over to the plumbers and plasters to finish. The Potter family lived there until 1919.

1018 Atlantic St.

The original house built in 1843, by Elizur and Mehetable Stratton Ruggles, in the Greek Revival style, was a two story frame house on the left, with a single story wing on the right, that included a square columned porch.  Elizur and Stanley Ruggles built the first sawmill in Milford that provided the beams and lumber for this house. Elizur and Mehetable raised their four girls and one son in this home that was passed down through the family for 148 years.  Laura Delia Ruggles Phillips, oldest daughter of Elizur and Mehetable Ruggles inherited the house and left it to her son, Benjamin Elizur Phillips.  Ben married Julia Myrle Bradley in 1909 and they lived their entire married life in this home raising one daughter, Eleanor Doris.

Below are pictures and addresses of the home that will be on the 2016 Home Tour. Two of the homes - 624 N. Main St and 957 S. Main St have never been on the Home Tour before.