South Milford Historic District -
In delineating the boundaries for the proposed South Milford Village Historic District, the committee's purpose was to include the properties that would illuminate the commercial, residential, industrial and transportation development of this community through the three periods of significance defined in the narrative. These periods are represented by the included historic sites, structures, features and objects. The choice of boundaries is further supported by the extant street grid pattern and by the 1872 and 1873 maps.
Representing the historic business district are one block of South Main Street from the Huron River south to Huron Street and two blocks of Huron Street from the Huron River on the east to Clinton Street on the west. These streets contain commercial buildings from all three periods of significance, with only a few buildings from more recent periods.
South of the Huron River is a residential area along South Main Street from Huron Street to just south of Second Street, along West Huron Street from Clinton Street to Peters Road, three houses on General Motors Road, Washington Street east from South Main Street to the railroad and west from South Main Street to Mill Street. Also included is a half block of Oakland Street running east from South Main Street. These streets extending from the main residential area are included because they contain contributing historic residences shown on the 1872 and1873 maps of Milford and were an integral part of Milford's development during the three periods of significance.
The history of transportation in Milford is represented by the railroad itself as it runs through the heart of North Milford Village from Washington Street on the south to the Huron River on the north. This includes the original depot building on East Huron Street.
The Public Square on West Huron Street has been included, even though it now has an intrusive fire department building on it, because it was part of Mead's Addition, the first plat in Milford Village, and was the heart of the early village.
Areas beyond these above described boundaries have been excluded because their structures
were either not present during the periods of significance, have been extensively
altered, do not have a significant concentration of contributing buildings or are
incapable of yielding important information about these periods. Seventy-