Milford Historical Society’s successful nomination of the North Milford Village Historic
District was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 2000.
Through their program, the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of Interior
provides recognition and encourages preservation in the following ways:
(1) It calls attention to the charm and history of the Village, making it an attractive
place to live in and a destination for historic tourism.
(2) It highlights the quality of each contributing building and encourages the proper
care and restoration of such buildings.
(3) It provides for a 20 percent investment tax credit for rehabilitation of
historic commercial, industrial and rental residential buildings.
Highlights of National Historic District Nomination
Over 82% of the buildings in North Milford Village Historic District contribute to
the district’s historical, cultural, and architectural significance. These and non-contributing
buildings (pgs 47 – 51) are listed with build date and architectural description.
The social, economic and architectural tastes of America were replicated in microcosm
in Milford. The nomination focuses on Milford’s development from its early settlement
through the coming of the railroad and the early auto industry.
The selected district boundary includes 255 buildings and 13 sites, structures and
objects that illuminate the commercial, residential, industrial and transportation
development of the community from 1834 through the first half of the twentieth century.
Because much of Milford’s early history is bound up with South Milford and many of
the earliest buildings were there, the historical society nominating committee requested
the inclusion of areas both north and south of the Huron River in an historic district
Build Dates of Historic Homes in Milford
For a list of build dates and original owners of many of the historic homes in Milford,