The History of Oak Grove Cemetery

Tombstone of Milford Founder

Elizur Ruggles

In Oak Grove Cemetery


Oak Grove Cemetery

A Brief History

by Barbara Bank Young



Oak Grove Cemetery has been placed on the Michigan State Register of Historic Sites and is a beautiful last resting place for so many Milford citizens, early settlers and later residents. Though Oak Grove is the last resting place for most of Milford’s early settlers, it wasn’t Milford’s first cemetery, or “burying ground.” The first one was established in 1838 in the earliest days of the Village. It was just south o the houses on the west end of Washington Street, just across from Johnson School. But by 1845 Milford had outgrown that early burying ground which was only one acre in size. The Township bought a new piece of land, and families moved their loved-ones from the old burying ground to this lovely new one by the Huron River.


For information on burials in National Register Oak Grove Cemetery from the early 1800's on, contact Milford Township offices at:

Milfordtownship.com or call the Township Clerk’s office at 248-685-8731


Some genealogy of early Milford Village residents is available. Will locate/share burial and family information. Some photos available. For research, biography and genealogy questions contact Linda Dagenhardt at bartres@voyager.net


For more photos of things at Oak Grove Cemetery, including the Ruggles family plot and the Civil War memorial see the photo essay on historic markers and plaques around Milford in the member contributed articles section of this site.


Back to Milford History Page                                                                Home